Master of Engineering in Electrical and Microsystems Engineering and Master of Science in Solid State Physics
The International Master Dual Degree Programme places a strong focus on electronics and semiconductor technology. It provides a solid theoretical background as well as a minimum of 6 months internship in one of our international partner companies (e.g. Osram, Infineon Technologies, Continental Automotive Corporation) in Malaysia or Germany. In addition, it offers you the opportunity to obtain a Master degree from Malaysia (USM Penang) in combination with an accredited European Master degree (M. Eng. in Electrical and Microsystems Engineering) from OTH (Eastern Bavarian University), Regensburg, Germany simultaneously. The course is structured to enable students to work independently, efficiently and responsibly using scientific methods and problem solving techniques. Aside from conveying technical expertise, the course is designed to build personalities and leadership knowledge and skills. Graduates will be equally proficient in performing technical tasks and leadership roles.
Lectures in Malaysia or Germany: Min. 24 months (4 semesters) / Max. 60 months (10 semesters)
Master’s research/thesis in Malaysia or Germany (usually in a company): Min. 6 months (1 semester)
The programme consists of 40 units in USM and 54 Credit Points in OTH of the following schedule:
1st Semester in USM (20 units)
- ZCC 541/4 - Solid State Physics Theory (Core - 4 units)
- ZCC 542/4 - Physics of Complementary Materials (Core - 4 units)
- ZCC 543/4 - Semiconductor Physics (Core - 4 units)
- ZSC 548/4 -X-ray Structure (Elective - 4 units)
- ZCC 591/4 -Measurements & Experimental Techniques 1 (Core - 4 units)
2nd Semester in OTH (29 credit points)
- Mathematics for Master (Core – 8 CP)
- Technical Optics – Micro-optics (TOM) (Core – 5 CP)
- Electronic Product Engineering (Elective – 5 CP)
- Master Optoelectronic Project in Labview (Elective – 5 CP)
- Project Thesis (Core – 6 CP)
3rd Semester in OTH (25 credit points)
- Optoelectronics (Core – 8 CP)
- Laser Technology and Photonics (Core – 5 CP)
- Laser Materials Processing or Cybernetics (Elective – 5 CP)
- German Language (Core – 7 CP)
4th Semester in USM (20 units)
- ZCC 590 – Solid State Physics Dissertation (Core – 20 units)
List of Expertise in School of Physics
Applicants should possess the following:
- BSc (Hons) in Physics, BApplied Sc (Hons) in Applied Physics, BApplied Sc (Hons) in Engineering Physics with minimum CGPA of 3.00/4.00 or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalent with several years of experience in a relevant field.
International candidates must possess one of the following:-
- A minimum score of 550 in Paper- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 213 in Computer- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- The applicants native language is English or National language
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction.
- Full-time: Min 4 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
Tuition fees for graduate studies in Germany are fully sponsored by the university (OTH). However, there will be an administration fee imposed by the university of approximately €150-300.
** Fees are subject to change