The objectives of this programme which is to equip postgraduates with a solid foundation in the field of Computer Science; an understanding of innovative computer technologies; the ability to relate various Computer Science disciplines, concepts and practices; the capability to translate their knowledge and skills to industry needs; and the skills and motivation to pursue a doctoral programme.
This programme consists of two specialisation areas:
- Information and Knowledge Engineering
- Distributed Computing and Networks
Candidates are required to take two core courses, three elective courses (at least two courses must be within chosen specialisation area) and a dissertation.
Core Courses (8 units)
- Research Methodology and Empirical Methods in Computer Science
- Advanced Algorithms and Complexity
Elective Courses (12 units)
Information and Knowledge Engineering:
- Evolutionary Computing
- Language Engineering
- Computer Vision and Image Analysis
- Envisioning Information
- Advanced Knowledge Management
- Bioinformatics Computing
Distributed Computing and Networks:
- Advanced Distributed Systems Concepts and Design
- Advance Data Communications and Computer Networks
- Computer Security and Cryptography
- Parallel Computing Architectures and Algorithms
- Electronic Forensics
- Specialised Systems Development
Dissertation (20 units)
Candidates need to conduct research after taking courses that equipped them with related skills.
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Computer Sciences www.cs.usm.my
Applicants should possess the following:
- A BSc degree in Computer Science/Information Technology degree or equivalent or
- A Bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering (60% of the core component must be Computer Science related) with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent.
- Degrees awarded by local private institutions of higher learning, including those awarded under any collaborative/franchising schemes with local or foreign partners must be accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
a) CGPA of 2.5 - 2.74/4.00 with
- Research experience – 1 year; OR,
- Professional experience in related field- 1 year; OR,
- Two (2) academic publications (journals, not proceeding(s) in related field; OR,
- Grade B for major/ elective courses; OR,
- Grade B+ for final year project;
b) CGPA of 2.00 - 2.49/4.00 with
- Research experience - 5 years or professional experience in related field - 5 years, AND
- Two (2) academic publications (journal, not proceeding(s) in related field; OR,
- Grade B+ for major / elective courses; OR,
- Grade A- for final year project.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 in Paper- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 213 in Computer- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- The applicants native language is English or National language
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction.
- English courses offered by British Council.
- Passed USM's Intensive English Course Level IV with minimum gred B.
- English courses offered by selected Public / Private Universities.
Notes: Evidence of English language proficiency must be attached with the application form. Please note that candidates are also required to submit the evidence of English language proficiency during registration.
- Full-time: Min 2 semesters / Max 4 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|