MSc Landscape Architecture is a discipline of art and science of materialising an outdoor environment comfortable for human habitation. Knowledge and expertise of various disciplines are important to a landscape architect. These will be provided by the unique multi-disciplinary curriculum and academic faculty of the School.
In this multi-disciplinary environment, the MSc Landscape Architecture has gained considerable advantage over other higher educational institutions. USM’s School of Biological Science and Penang Botanical Garden provide additional inputs which further enhance the programme.
The curriculum is divided into 3 main aspects:
- Social, Economy, Planning, Legislation and Policy
- Design, Technology and Environment
- Finance, Management and Administration
- Landscape Construction
- Landscape Horticulture
- Landscape Studio 1
- Theory and Philosophy of Landscape Design
- Basic Ecology
- Legal Aspect and Professional Practice
- Practical Training - Inter-Semester break (10 weeks)
- GIS and Information Technology for Landscape Design
- Landscape Resource Management
- Landscape Studio 2
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Hydrology and Watershed
- Landscape Architecture Research (2 Semesters)
- Landscape Design Graphic Studio
Candidates without any relevant background in the construction industry are required to take all the preparatory courses conducted at the undergraduate level
- Environmental Science
- Land Surveying
- Principles of Planning
- Principles and Theory of Design
- Landscape Planning
- Urban Design
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Housing, Building & Planning www.hbp.usm.my
Applicants should possess the following:
- BSc (Honours) Housing, Building and Planning degree.
- BSc (Honours) Building Engineering / Architecture / Planning degree.
- BSc (Honours) Architecture / Landscape Architecture
- Other academic or professional qualifications.
- Preference is given to those who have relevant working experience.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) (Paper-based); or
- A minimum score of 213 on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) (computer-based); or
- A minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language) (Internet-based); or
- A minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System); or
- English is the candidate’s mother tongue or National Language; or
- The candidate graduated from an Institution of Higher Learning in which the medium of instruction at Bachelor and Master level is English; or
- English courses offered by British Council. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses are to be identified by the University Postgraduate Studies Council); or
- English courses offered by School of Languages, Literacies and Translation (The level of qualification and the relevant courses are to be identified by the University Postgraduate Studies Council); or
- English courses from selected Malaysian public/private university or institution. (The level of qualification and the relevant courses should be previously identified and approved by the University Postgraduate Studies Council).
Full-time: Min 4 semesters / Max 6 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|