Master of Science (Forensic Science) Mixed Mode Programme is offered to produce more forensic professionals to meet the demand of forensic science practitioners and law enforcement agencies.
Based on inputs from key stake holders, forensic practitioners, academics and stringent benchmarking against renowned forensic science institutions both locally and internationally, this programme has been designed to allow prospective candidates to specialise into either forensic chemistry or forensic biology.
The programme will equip prospective candidates with current knowledge, techniques and essential skills in forensic science which will be assimilated through well-designed theoretical and practical sessions. It also serves as a platform for prospective candidates to pursue PhD in forensic science.
Compulsory Core Courses (13 units)
- Fundamental of Forensic Science
- Professional Skills in Forensic Science
- Techniques and Applications for Forensic Science
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods
Specialised Core Courses (7 units)
1. Forensic Biology
- Forensic Biology & DNA Profiling
- Genetics & Development OR Advanced Biochemistry
2. Forensic Chemistry
- Forensic Chemistry
- Physical Evidence & Fire Scene Evidence OR Forensic Drug Chemistry & Toxicology
Research Project (20 units)
- Research in Forensic Science is vital for advancing the body of knowledge and elevating the status of the profession.
- The student will conduct a research project, prepare a written report, and present the results of the research.
Applicants should possess the following:
- Bachelor of Science (Forensic Science, Biology, Chemistry, Health Sciences, or other related and recognised degrees) with CGPA ≥ 3.00 OR
- Bachelor degree as in selection (i) with CGPA 2.75 – 2.99 AND research experience OR at least six (6) months working experience in related field OR
- Bachelor degree as in selection (i) with CGPA ≥ 2.25 – 2.74 AND research experience OR at least one (1) year working experience in related field OR
- Bachelor degree as in selection (i) with CGPA 2.49 or less, AND research experience OR at least five (5) years working experience in related field and two (2) academic publications OR obtained at least a B+ in a major course OR at least A- in final year research project.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 in Paper-Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) OR
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System) OR
- Passed USM’s Intensive English Course Level IV minimum Gred B
- Full-time: Min 1 ½ years (3 semesters) / Max 3 years (6 semesters)
- Part-time : Min 2 years (4 semesters) / Max 4 years (8 semesters)
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change