- This Programme offers a unique access to the postgraduate fundamental neuroscience education and research training in Malaysia, based at the Department of Neurosciences, USM School of Medical Sciences. The integrated approach implies that candidates could progress from an initial Master of Neuroscience to a follow-through Doctor of Neuroscience (i.e. a unique ‘1+3’ track).This Master to Doctoral progress is subjected to meeting satisfactory overall achievements and passing a pre-doctoral assessment. The conferred final degree award, for Master of Neuroscience (M.Neurosc) or Doctor of Neuroscience (Neurosc.D), will depend upon the concluding level successfully fulfilled by candidates. As a ‘1+3’ track, candidates are expected to complete the Programme in 4 years as a whole, where for M.Neurosc (minimum: 1 year; maximum: 2 years), and for Neurosc.D (minimum: 3 years; maximum: 5 years). As a mixed-mode programme, the teaching and learning involve didactic classes (lectures and tutorials), coursework, seminars, laboratory placements, research project and a final thesis defense (20-30% coursework & 70-80% research).
Applicants should possess the following:
- A Bachelor Degree (in Basic Sciences, Medical & Health Sciences or related fields) with a CGPA > 3.0/4 from a recognised institution, or
- A Bachelor Degree in the fields stated above with CGPA < 3.0/4 but > 2.5/4 may also apply, provided this is supported by no less than 2 years research experience in the related fields, or had acquired a commendable grade (Grade A and equivalent) in the respective Bachelor Degree final year project.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
* Evidence for this must be submitted with the application form.Subject to meeting the required admission criteria, applicants may be invited to a pre-admission interview to complete the application process
- Full-time: Min 2 semesters / Max 4 semesters
February & September
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
- ** Fees are subject to change