The Master of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is a surgical specialty programme, which will be offered by the School of Dental Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia. The program is a continuous 48-month course duration that prepares the graduate for the practice of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery covers that part of surgery which deals with the diagnosis, surgical and adjunctive treatment of diseases, injuries and defects of the human jaws and associated maxillofacial structures. The four-year programme is designed to prepare residents for a career in education, research, or clinical practice in the specialty of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Clinical training is aimed at providing the resident with the broadest possible exposure to oral and maxillofacial surgery including : Dentoalveolar Surgery, Trauma, Orthognathic, Craniofacial Surgery, Temporomandibular Joint Surgery, Pre-Prosthetic, Reconstructive, Head And Neck Oncology Surgery, Implant Surgery, Treatment Of Pathology And Cosmetic Surgery.
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department at School of Dental sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia conducts this program. This program will prepare the candidate for holistic management of patients in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery specialty. The scope of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and length of training fulfils the guidelines of training defined by the Asian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2005).
Expertise available in the following School: http://dental.usm.my/index.php/en/features/staf/academic
The Master of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery program is a coursework program. This program consists of three phases: Phase I, II and III.
- Phase1 is the first year of the Master of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery program. It comprises of instructions in Basic Medical and Dental Science subjects such as Pathology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy and Histology over a period of six (6) months. The students have to sit for their FRACDS primary examination at the end of semester I Year 1. The final six (6) months of Year 1 comprises of General Dentistry lectures, attachment in the oral maxillofacial unit as well as introducing the students to research methodology and biostatistics
- Phase II is the second year of the program. It comprises of a research component and clinical attachment over a period of 12 months including training in the Oral and Maxillofacial and Head and Neck Surgery in USM.
- Phase III is the third and fourth year of the program. Year three consists of course work such as lectures, seminar and review of past year questions as a preparation for the students to sit for their FRACDS Part II examination. There will be a h at the selected departments in HUSM (12 months). The hospital residency training program includes rotations in Anaesthesia, Internal Medicine, General Surgery (Plastic Reconstructive Surgery & Neurosurgery), ORL and Accident & Emergency Unit.
- The Year Four program comprises of a ten (10) month clinical attachment in the specialty, either in the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya or Ministry of Health clinical training centres recognized by the University. The remaining 2 months, the student will be attached to the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Unit, USM It also includes research component leading to the submission of dissertation and case reports followed by a defense viva and clinical viva.
Applicants should possess the following:
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Dentistry (BDS, DDS or an equivalent degree) recognize by Malaysian Dental Council
- Have at least three years post registration experience in dentistry. Staff from Ministry Of Health must complete at least 3 years compulsory services.
- Obtain at least a credit in Bahasa Malaysia in SPM/ STPM(for Malaysian citizen) or equivalent examination.
- International candidates must obtain at least TOEFL (minimum 550) or IELTS ( minimum 6.0)
- Pass qualifying assessment made by the Postgraduate Committee, School Of Dental Sciences, USM
- Local candidates will be called for interview by Postgraduate Committee before final selection
- Candidates are required to meet all other requirements set from time to time by the Postgraduate Committee, School Board or USM.
(Results must be attached with the application form)
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language); OR
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System )
Full-time :Min 8 semesters/Max 14 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change