The Master of Restorative Dentistry is a program offered by the School of Dental Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia to train dental specialists in Periodontics. The minimum duration of study is four (4) years while maximum is seven (7) years. However, each case is judged on a case-by-case basis.
The Master of Restorative Dentistry program is a coursework program, comprising coursework, clinical work and research.
Expertise available in the following School: http://dental.usm.my/index.php/en/features/staf/academic
This program consists of three phases: Phase I, II and III.
1. Phase1 is the first year of the Master of Restorative Dentistry program. It comprises of instructions in Basic Medical and Dental Science subjects such as Pathology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy and Histology over a period of six (6) months. The candidates have to sit for their FRACDS primary examination at the end of semester I Year 1. The final six (6) months of Year 1 comprises of operative techniques in the skill laboratory and clinical training in General Dental Practice (GDP) as well as introducing the students to research methodology and biostatistics.
2. Phase II is the second year of the Master of Restorative program. It comprises a research and clinical component in the specialty option chosen by the candidates.
3. Phase III is the third and fourth year of the Master of Restorative Dentistry program. It comprises complex clinical practices in the field of conservative dentistry, periodontics, or prosthodontics as chosen by the candidates. There will also be course work such as lectures, seminar and review of past year questions as a preparation for the students to sit for their FRACDS Part II examination.
4. The Year Four program comprises of a three (3) month clinical attachment in the specialty option, either in the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya or other clinical training centre recognized by the University. Advanced clinical practices and coursework in the specialty option continues until near the completion of the course. It also includes research component leading to the submission of dissertation followed by a defense Viva.
Applicants should possess the following:
Each candidate should possess :
a) A bachelor’s degree in Dentistry (BDS, DDS or an equivalent degree)recognize by Malaysian Dental Council
b) At least three years post registration experience in dentistry. Staff from Ministry Of Health must complete at least 3 years compulsory services.
c) Obtain at least a credit in Bahasa Malaysia in SPM or STPM (for Malaysian citizen) or equivalent examination.
d) International candidates must obtain at least TOEFL (minimum 550) or IELTS ( minimum 6.0)
e) Pass qualifying assessment made by the Postgraduate Committee, School Of Dental Sciences, USM
f) Have good physical and mental health.
- Local candidates will be called for interview by Postgraduate Committee before final selection
- Candidates are required to meet all other requirements set from time to time by the Postgraduate Committee, School Board or USM.
(Results must be attached with the application form)
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language); OR
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System )
Full-time: Min 8 semesters / Max 14 semesters
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change