This is a mixed-mode program aims to equip and train local and international students who has passion in the field of conservative dentistry who wish to build a career focus in this field. Students also will be guided through research dissertation together with the clinical skill, in order to produce well diverse clinical specialist and competent researchers. This program is designed to provide the candidates with the opportunity to advance their knowledge and skills in a specialized area of conservative dentistry, adequate educational component for specialist training and advance knowledge and skills in research methodology, critical evaluation of data and originality in thought and research design.
Biochemistry and Cell Biology
General Dental Practice
Conservative Specialty Dental Clinical
Advanced Conservative Specialty Dental Training
Conservative Dentistry Attachment
Expertise available in the following School: http://dental.usm.my/index.php/en/features/staf/academic
This program consists of three phases: Phase I, II and III.
- Phase1 is the first year of this program. It comprises of instructions in Basic Medical and Dental Science subjects such as Pathology, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Anatomy and Histology over a period of six (6) months. The candidates have to sit for their FRACDS primary examination at the end of semester I Year 1. The final six (6) months of Year 1 comprises of operative techniques in the skill laboratory and clinical training in General Dental Practice (GDP) as well as introducing the students to research methodology and biostatistics.
- Phase II is the second year of this program. It comprises of a research and clinical component in the specialty option chosen by the candidates.
- Phase III is the third and fourth year of this program. It comprises of complex clinical practices in the field of conservative dentistry, periodontics, or prosthodontics as chosen by the candidates. There will also be course work such as lectures, seminar and review of past year questions as a preparation for the students to sit for their FRACDS Part II examination.
- The Year Four program comprises of a three (3) month clinical attachment in the specialty option, either in the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Malaya or other clinical training centre recognized by the University. Advanced clinical practices and coursework in the specialty option continues until near the completion of the course. It also includes research component leading to the submission of dissertation followed by a defense Viva.
Applicants should possess the following:
- Bachelor's degree in dentistry (BDS, DDS or approved equivalent) received by the Graduate Studies Committee PPSG.
- At least three (3) years clinical experience in dentistry. Candidates from the Ministry of Health, Malaysia should complete 3 years’ service compulsory with the ministry.
- Obtain at least a credit in English at Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia or STPM (for Malaysians) or equivalent examination.
- Overseas candidates: Has qualifications English - TOEFL (minimum score 550) or IELTS (minimum score 6.0). Passed in eligibility assessment, which will be a decision by the School of Dental Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- Have physical and mental health is good.
Specific Programme Requirements
- Local candidates will be called for an interview by the Graduate Studies Committee PPSG before the final selection is made.
- Candidates are also required to meet other conditions as may be determined from time to time by the Committee of Graduate Studies, the School, and the Universiti Sains Malaysia.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
(Results must be attaches with the application form)
- A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language); OR
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System )
Full Time: Min 8 semester / Max 14 semester
|Malaysian (MYR)||International (USD)|
** Fees are subject to change