USM Fellowship Scheme
The USM Fellowship Scheme is a prestigious postgraduate funding programme awarded by the University to outstanding postgraduates who have passions in research and demonstrate leadership qualities. This Fellowship is offered to full-time academically outstanding local and international research mode candidates on a yearly basis. Under the tutelage of their supervisors, USM Fellowship recipients are trained in academic writing and publishing to enable them to become effective researchers.
The USM Fellowship covers tuition and thesis examination fees. A monthly stipend is also provided.The amount varies from year to year as displayed in the following table.
Master candidates may be funded for a maximum of two years while PhD candidates, up to three years.
The cost of other fees, and expenses like traveling, personal bond, health insurance, visa, are not included and are borne by the candidate themselves. Applicants are encouraged to obtain fundings from other sources to pay for these items.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
The USM Fellowship is open to current postgraduate students of Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Master Degree Applicants
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree (CGPA≥3.25) or equivalent qualification recognized by the Malaysian Government
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree (CGPA≥3.25) or equivalent qualification recognized by the Malaysian Government; and
- A coursework/mixed mode Master’s Degree (CGPA≥3.25) or a research mode Master's Degree with at least 1 article published in peer-reviewed journals or equivalent qualification recognized by the Malaysian Government .
- Academic honours, awards and scholarships.
- Other postgraduate degrees.
- Conference papers.
- Past relevant research.
- Community service experience.
We strongly recommend that all applicants to apply online and submit their application and all required documents well before the closing date. Incomplete applications will not be entertained. The date of application will be announced through our website from time to time.
Students with financial assistance (e.g., NSF/PGD/IDB/RLKA/ASTS) are not eligible to apply.
Fellowship holders are required to submit prove of manuscript submission to the University during the first funded year.This action may contribute towards the extension of the fellowship.
USM Fellowship holders are required to publish in high impact factor or in peer reviewed journals. The publication requirement at the to levels of postgraduate studies are :
- Master level : minimum of one(1) publication
- PhD level : minimum of two (2) publications
Any publication due to this requirement must acknowledge the support of USM Fellowship.
USM holds and reserves the right to publications and all intellectual property rights supported by and arising from USM Fellowship.