Note: Kindly be informed that applicant who emailed their documents to IPS USM until 15 July 2019 are able to upload the Preliminary Acceptance Letter (PAL) in TWAS Portal until 31 July 2019.
TWAS-USM POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME
This programme is for young scientists (non-Malaysian) from developing countries (other than Malaysia) and *47 least developed countries (LDC) who wish to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences at the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) in Penang, Malaysia.
- Opening date of this fellowship : 15 April 2019
- Closing date of this fellowship : 15 July 2019
- TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments & institutions of the Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a minimum period of twelve (12) months to a maximum period of two (2) years are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
- USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
- The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM. Upon receipt of the USM-TWAS award letter from TWAS, candidates will need to contact in due course the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) USM to apply for the final offer letter. In case the application for the final offer letter of admission is not approved by USM, the award will become null and void.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for this Fellowship must meet the following criterion:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Malaysia) and hold a research assignment there;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Below are the Criteria for application:-
A. Candidate Criteria
Academic and Professional Qualification (Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.
ii. Research and Publications
Good academic merit and research output at least two (2) publications in ISI Web of Science (scientific candidates) or Scopus (non-scientific candidates) within the last three (3) years.
B. Supervisor Criteria
i. USM Lecturer (Permanent Appointment)
ii. Have an active research grant within a minimum of one (1) year on the date the application is received by the USM Human Resources Division, AND
iii. Has graduated PhD students as Main Supervisor.
C. Honorarium: RM 6,173.47
Finding Potential Supervisor
- Finding a supervisor is compulsory before submitting application to USM.
- List of potential supervisors can be attained from this link: http://experts.usm.my/
- Please request the supervisor to fill in Section B (Supervisor’s Particulars) in TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Application Form (Note: The form can be downloaded from this link: http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/download/category/19-twas)
Request for Preliminary Acceptance Letter (PAL)
- The call for application is open from 15 April 2019 – 15 July 2019.
|List of Documents should be attached together with the application form|
|i.||Curriculum Vitae (CV)|
|ii.||Recommendation/Supporting letter from current employer [DD / MM / 2019]|
|iv.||Evidence of publications|
Submitting your Application
- The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is 15 July 2019.
- Applicants must upload Preliminary Acceptance Letter signed by the Dean of IPS USM via online application to TWAS. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, your application will not be considered for selection.
*For a list of LDC countries, please see https://twas.org/least-developed-countries-ldcs
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 314
Fax: +39 040 2240 689
Professor Dr. Rozman Hj. Din
Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS)
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
11800 Penang, Malaysia
Tel: +6 04 6532939
Fax: +6 04 6532940
download from : http://www.ips.usm.my/index.php/download/category/19-twas